Sunday, June 22, 2014

The woman and the scarf ... a true story

I was in a small store, a 'dollar' store, in the neighborhood. Nothing in the store sells for more than a dollar.

I like shopping there. It makes me happy. And I like the people I meet there.

I had recently picked out a few things, some food, etc., and was waiting on the check-out line. A elderly woman was ahead of me. She was dressed in 'rags', so to speak, and she had only one item to check-out, a pretty pink silk scarf for her hair.

When she reached the check-out station, she was short of money. She had like 80 cents in change, and the scarf cost a dollar. She offered the change to the check-out person. He told her 'no way' ... one dollar or no sale'.

I was astonished by this! This woman wanted only to look pretty with this scarf.  I didn''t say anything to either of the people involved, but I wanted to so bad. I just threw a dollar on the counter to pay for the scarf.

How cruel can we be to each other. All the woman wanted was to look pretty. All the clerk wanted was his dollar. Isn't there more to life than that?

She did look pretty with the scarf on, and I'll never forget that little incident, right here in Poughkeepsie, NYS.

God Bless.

Rich

No comments:

Post a Comment